Registering Firearms in Illinois Before January 2024 Deadline
Gun owners in Illinois are required to register many of their firearms with the Illinois State Police by January 1, 2024. This registration requirement applies to semi-automatic rifles, semi-automatic shotguns, and detachable magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition that were legally owned prior to the new law going into effect.
What You Need to Register:
An account on the Illinois Firearms Services Bureau web portal
- Valid email address
- Illinois Driver’s License or State ID number
- Firearm Owner’s Identification (FOID) card number
- Details on each firearm being registered including make, model, caliber and serial number
How to Register Your Firearms:
- Create an account on the Firearms Services Bureau web portal at https://www.ispfsb.com/. You cannot proceed without first creating an account associated with your FOID card.
- Prepare the details for each firearm – make sure you have the required information on hand for each gun you plan to register.
- Log in to your account and select the option for firearm registration. Follow the prompts to enter your firearms details one at a time. You may need to upload photos of the serial numbers.
- The system will prompt you to pay the registration fee per firearm using a credit card. The fee is set at $25 for each weapon registered prior to the deadline.
Once the registration is submitted, you should receive email updates on the status. Registration early is highly encouraged in case there are any issues that require correspondence with the Illinois State Police to address.
The registration system is up and running, so you can take steps to comply with this new law at any time. By getting your firearms submitted and approved well ahead of January 2024, you can ensure you meet the legal requirements and avoid any issues with possession or ownership after the deadline. Please direct any other questions you may have to the resources on ISP’s firearms services website.